A customer reached out to BoldtSmith Packaging with a goal of reducing packaging material and freight cost. After an onsite assessment, we identified multiple potential projects. The project we recommended to start with would yield that highest amount of costs savings with the lowest amount of risk and project cost. The project included a total number of 39 SKUs.
The opportunity BoldtSmith Packaging identified optimized the following variables:
- Orientation the products were stacked inside the master carton
- The master carton orientation and pattern on the pallet
- The master carton material utilization
- The master carton material strength
The above diagrams outline the current vs optimized pallet patterns.
By optimizing the master carton size, orientation and material, BoldtSmith Packaging was able to create a new packaging system that resulted in a cost savings that exceeded our customer’s expectations.
- Shipping: 16% more product per pallet
- Shipping: 662 reduction in trailer loads annually
- Shipping: 109,000 gallons of diesel reduction
- Packaging Cost Savings: 32% reduction in master carton cost
- Packaging Cost Savings: $2,058,306 annual reduction in packaging material and freight savings