What an exciting project! A hot sauce manufacturer reached out to BoldtSmith Packaging looking for a re-design on their current single serve packaging. Want to see what packaging concepts we designed?
Develop multiple packaging design concepts that enhance this iconic brand and increase the customer experience when utilizing their product in a single serve application. These concepts would be presented to a cross functional team including marketing from headquarters and manufacturing from the plant. Including both marketing and manufacturing is critical in the process of vetting packaging solutions.
We broke the plan to develop these packaging concepts into five steps:
- Competitive benchmark: What is competition doing for single serve packaging? What are other product categories doing for single serve packaging? What is working and what is not working?
- Brainstorm session: Group collaboration with all BoldtSmith Packaging Engineer’s to brainstorm all potential packaging solutions.
- Create package renderings: Utilizing our in-house graphic designer and packaging engineer’s, we designed multiple packaging concepts ranging from opening price point to a premium packaging experience.
- Acquire pricing: What happens when you present the packaging concepts to manufacturing? The first question is “How much do they cost”? For this reason, we located and contacted not only potential packaging suppliers for budgetary pricing but also machinery manufacturer’s that can fill the single serve packs.
- Wow the customer: Present the options to the customer with advantages/disadvantages for each design along with a financial analysis comparing the piece price of each concept, master carton costs, pallet patterns and capital investment needed for packing machinery.
A few key takeaways from the above listed process, we did not provide concepts that just look great in a fancy powerpoint but then cannot be manufactured.We provided solutions vetted for manufacturability with pricing and key data points for the customer to make an informed decision on which they would like to pursue.
Which one of the below designs is your favorite?